How we help enrich lives
If we are going to help our residents live better, then it is our responsibility to offer them every opportunity to be actively engaged and involved. At Extendicare Kingston, we provide social and recreational services seven days a week - including holidays. These services are designed to meet the physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual needs of our residents. All activities are developed, organized and led by qualified staff and we offer both group and individualized services to meet residents’ unique needs and circumstances. Examples of our recreational services and activities include:
- Montessori Program: Our Montessori Program helps residents living with dementia connect with things and activities from their past. The Behavioural Support Team learns as much as they can about the residents past from friends and family and then tailors activities to their past history. It helps them to feel needed or useful and can help reduce and control responsive behaviours.
- Music and Memory: Through our Music and Memory program, residents living with dementia can have their own personal playlist loaded on an iPod and listen with earphones to their favourite music.
- Mental Aerobics Class: Our once a week Mental Aerobics Class on current events, trivia, discussion about today’s headlines and more is great fun and helps keep residents mentally fit.
- Men’s Cooking Group: We have a Men’s Cooking Group that regularly likes to take over the kitchen and cook a feast.
- Ladies Baking Club: We also have a Ladies Baking Club where our residents enjoy baking their favourites.
- Manicure Program: Our once-weekly Manicure program is a hit with the ladies who love getting their nails done.
- Weekly BBQ & Corn Roast: When the weather is favourable, we have a weekly barbeque or corn roast.
- Younger Residents Program: In our Younger Residents program we focus on activities and outings that interest our younger and more active and able residents.
- Daily Exercise Classes: We hold daily Exercise Classes that focus on strength, flexibility and balance.
- Let’s Create Group: The Let’s Create Group meets once weekly to work on art projects and crafts.
- Gardening Group: Many residents in the Gardening Group have their own planter boxes to plant in spring and tend to over the growing season. We also have a Big Pot contest in which Garden Group members and staff pair up to form a team and together they plant a big pot. The pots are on display throughout the home and members from our Family Council judge the pots and decide which one receives the top award.
- Monthly Birthday Bash: Monthly Birthday Bashes celebrate residents who have birthdays during the month.
- Live Entertainment: Musicians, singers and bands from the community frequently visit our home and put on a live show for the residents.
- Movie Night: Movie nights are also very popular as residents settle in with a bag of popcorn to enjoy the movie of their choosing for the evening.
We also offer a wide range of physiotherapy, cognitive, speech and occupational therapies according to the needs of our residents. Currently we offer:
- Registered Respiratory Therapist
- Occupational Therapist
- Speech Therapist